Sunday, January 13, 2008

options

In the next week, I'm submitting a job application to another government science agency. It's for a research director position at a mid-sized lab on the east coast. I've been informally recruited, and it's intriguing enough to at least apply and maybe get an interview. I'm not sure I'd take it if offered, as this would be a tremendous change in terms of where we live, much different than the move contemplated last year. But as I said, intriguing. As a research leader I would be administratively responsible for the entire lab including ~10 principal investigators with about ~25 projects and a total staff of ~35, but also responsible to maintain an active research program. The center is more than adequately funded, and the leader is also supplied enough funding (and space) to bring in post docs and technicians to do so. I've visited the place (a few years ago) and it's a great, relatively new lab, that is well-equipped and designed right. There's designated administrative and IT support, including the all important bioinformatics support.

What's not to like? Well distance from family (almost the other coast), including our kids who are at the age where they won't want to move there (one will be graduating from college, and the other will be just starting college, somewhere in the northwest. Getting ahead of myself here though, as usual.

No comments: